Hey! I imagine that all people who blog feel this compulsory need to apologize (like I’m feeling now) when they haven’t posted in a while. But real talk: I would really owe an apology if I had been blogging daily about the mundane stuff going on over here in Katie Land.
So I figured I’d pull out the highlights from the past week and put ’em into one post!
1. I’ve been training my replacement at my office. I really like her, and I think she’s going to fit in really well with the other manager in the office, Pam. It’s been b.o.r.i.n.g. at work since she’s been there, though, because it’s 3 people doing work fit for maybe one person. But as my time at this job winds down, I’m starting to realize how much I’m going to miss some of the people and experiences there.
Take one of my favorite maintenance men, Al, for instance. Today he brought me a grocery bag full of tomatoes and peppers from his garden!
I don’t even know what kind of peppers those are (Mom, I know you’re reading this and I know you know), but it made me want to cry why I saw them on my desk this morning. It’s looking like I’ve got some serious salsa in my future.
2. Guys. This weather. FALL IS HERE TO STAY. (I hope.)
That, of course, means that I’m getting my running groove on. I haven’t been wearing my Garmin out with me so I don’t know how far I’m averaging (I’m guessing ~3.5mi/run), but I’m having so much fun running around grounds, enjoying the fall smells, and people watching.
In fact, the other day I was enjoying my run so much, I resolved to spend some time looking up a half marathon in Virginia to start training for! If I started training now, I’d hope to be ready to run a half in December, but unfortunately it doesn’t look like there’s too much in terms of races in this area around that time.
Side note about runs: I’ve always thought that I need to listen to really fast pop music or rap when I run because it’ll help me keep up a beat. But it dawned on me the other day that that’s so ridiculous. I generally don’t like that kind of music at all, and I can run to the kind of music I actually like, even if it’s not traditional “running” music. Here’s one that I listened to on repeat today:
Even though it’s really quiet and folky, it has a great rhythm that was really easy to fall into, and it was so much easier to zone out and think than when I’m listening to “Starships” for the umpteenth time.
3. Other things I love about Fall? FALL TV!! Alex and I detest Comcast and refuse to pay $80 a month for the most basic cable service (don’t worry, I practically make it my job to tweet at them about how dissatisfied I am with their service), so we invested in a $40 antennae for our TV.
The antennae has been such a good purchase. We get all the major networks, which means that I get to catch up on alllllll the Fall TV I want.
This makes it look like I watch a stupid amount of TV. Which, okay. Maybe I do. But I can tell you right now that I’ll probably end up only watching How I Met Your Mother, Revenge, and Happy Endings. Although god knows I love myself some Connie Britton. (And I’m only watching Elementary so I can compare it to my beloved Sherlock).
Do you all feel like having the TV on in the house just makes it feel more…. homey? The news in the morning, football on the weekends, Jeopardy while I’m cooking dinner… Even if I’m not really watching it, those familiar sounds are so nice to have in the background.
4. Apurva, Frances, and Aaron came over for brunch yesterday morning, and while I forgot to take photos of the entire brunch (womp), I did manage to get a snapshot of the baked oatmeal I made before all the leftovers were gone.
I made this recipe that I found on Pinterest, and it was a hit–really healthy and hearty. I also made a little berry compote sauce to drizzle on top by tossing some frozen berries and stevia in a pot to reduce down. Nom nom nom.
5. I live in a house of cute.