Hi! Welcome to Year of Katie. The best place to start is with the title of my blog. You know Happy Endings on ABC? You know Penny? Well, in season 2 Penny declares that it will be the Year of Penny. It’s amahzing.
Anyway, I’m starting off my first year as a graduate from James Madison University (go Dukes!) with a little inspiration from my TV idol and making it the Year of Katie. But first, you gotta know where I’m coming from to understand where I’m going:
Where I’m coming from…
- I’m 22 and currently working at my first real job! (Read: my first desk job. I’m a highly qualified nanny.)
- I live in Charlottesville, VA with my best friend, Alex, and my dog, Millie.
- I graduated in 2012 from JMU with a degree in English and Creative Writing.
- Since May 2011, I’ve lost 30 pounds, adopted a quinoa/green monster smoothie/overnight oats-centered lifestyle, and run a half marathon.
- I’m pretty intensely attention deficit, which comes out in a lot of aspects of my life. (Mostly in my attempts at budgeting. Post-grad life lesson learned: Being alive is expensive.)
- I love reading, writing, music, cooking, television (sorry not sorry), all things domestic (painting! cleaning! organizing! grocery shopping! knitting! oh my!), and self-improvement books.
Where I’m going:
- I’m trying to figure out how to balance my mind, body, and soul while spending 8 hours a day at a desk.
- I live in the most amazing city, and I want to meet as many people as possible and take advantage of all that Charlottesville has to offer.
- My health has been a huge priority for over a year now, but I don’t see being healthy as a means to an end. I’d like to lose some more weight, and continue to improve as a healthy cook and as an
athleteindividual who occasionally works out.
- I believe that I can have fun and be independent on my budget, but I want to perfect my budget so I can spend money on having fun and still be able to pay my rent.
- I have big dReAmZzZ to be a high school English teacher some day, and hopefully my adventures in graduate school will start sometime soon.
- While I have a TON going on, I would never be myself if I didn’t continue to improve my writing, stay on top of my reading, and collect as much music as possible.
So my purpose with this blog is essentially to track what it’s like for me to be recently graduated, totally independent, and grasping at a bigger, better life. I plan to focus on posting things under the tags “mind,” “body,” and “soul,” so expect updates mostly on my journey toward physical health, through the graduate school process, all while trying to maintain a sense of who I’m destined to become.